Harry Potter Reading Nook: The Cupboard Under the Stairs

As soon as we moved into the North Carolina house, I was inspired to create a reading nook in the space under the stairs. My normal aesthetic is typically cozy minimalist, and I felt excited to create a more adventurous space. We decided on a Harry Potter theme as Harry Potter books and movies are beloved in our family. There is a plethora of Harry Potter décor and memorabilia out there so I wanted to be thoughtful with my design choices and make sure that I was still staying true to my cozy minimalist roots!




I believe the closet under the stairs was originally used as a catch-all pantry, but with so much other storage in the home, we did not need the extra pantry space. I thought about keeping the existing shelving for the Legos, and I'm so glad that I didn't. I tore out the shelf, brackets, and screws and filled all of the holes with painter's putty. It instantly made the space feel so much bigger without the back shelf!


 
I knew that I wanted to put our bookshelf in there so seating options would be limited. I decided on a large bean bag from Land's End that we already had and Harry Potter pillows and blankets. I found this cute sign to put on the inside of the door on Amazon as well. Click on any of the pictures in this post for links to the products I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716DMYY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I decided on this faux, peel and stick brick wallpaper for the wall treatments. I found this product on Amazon for just $9.89 per roll! This was my first experience applying peel and stick wallpaper and I have to say, the brick was extremely forgiving since bricks are textured in real life! I would definitely recommend having two people to apply this type of wall treatment, and I will be doing that in the future. I love how it turned out, and it really gives the room a wow factor for a low price point!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RYM5G4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 
 
I love this runner because it reminded me of the rugby striped scarfs that the kids at Hogwarts wear. Is that weird? LOL It was the perfect size but always make sure you measure twice, order once!
 
 
 
I wanted to add some additional lighting because the only light under there was a horrible florescent. I chose this beautiful wall sconce with a battery-operated candle to set the mood. It ended up turning out better than I had imagined! The candle flickers and looks so real! I used command velcro stripes to attached the remote to the inside of the door frame so that it will not get lost!
 
 
I wanted to find at least one more element for the wall to make it cozy and really make you feel like you were at Hogwarts or to just put you in the Harry Potter mood! This banner and 9 3/4 pillow cover were just what we needed. Both are from Amazon and are linked below. 
 

  The finished room boasts a magical atmosphere that makes each visitor feel like they are in a different world. What a great place for the kids to read or relax for some time to themselves! I myself have taken a time out or two in this little room!
 
  Follow Fiddle & Olive Blog on Instagram for lots of design inspiration and so much more! Thanks for visiting! I'd love your feedback and to answer any questions you may have!


 
 
 
 


No comments